Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Good Evening, Afghanistan

The 10th Mountain Division of the US Army uses...Image via Wikipedia
Made my way home last night from Little Rock via Atlanta, I know that doesn't make much sense, but that is air travel these days.  Ask Bubba, John or other road warriors from WL, sometimes you just can't get there from here.  Anyway, my layover allowed me to eat at my favorite airport restaurant ever, One Few South (Terminal E, on your left as you make your way to the concourse), I highly recommend it, especially if you like sushi.

After eating and back on to the concourse I ran into a large contingent of Army troops, waiting for their plane.  Their unit patches were familiar to me, 82nd, 1st Cav, and 10th Mountain among others.  I had a chance to talk with a couple of soldiers from the 10th, two staff sergeants, one male the other female.  Everybody in their group was headed back to Afghanistan.  I wouldn't say the mood was somber, let's just say quiet.  When I broached the topic of food, their eyes lit up...I thought I might give them a hot tip about my favorite when they pointed across the food court to...yep, you guessed it, The Golden Arches. They wanted one more shot at a Big Mac and fries...and who could blame them.  So I thanked them for their service and wished them bon apetit, good luck and God's blessings...suddenly the inconvenience of my travel schedule didn't amount to much, I was going home to Weatherby Lake.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: