Monday, December 17, 2012

Old School

If you are a KC Star subscriber and if you are "a valued customer paying by automatic debit" you probably received a letter from the Star, dated 13 December, advising you that Star rates are increasing 69 cents a week to pay for the addition of a digital subscription...

I do love the feel of a newspaper, always have.  I learned how to fold a newspaper commuter style, from a veteran New Yorker who rode the subway to work (it is impossible to read a newspaper like you were in your living room on the subway...unless you are trained in martial arts).  Thus when I travel I like to read the paper editions of the WSJ and/or USA Today, most of the hotels I stay in for business give them for free.  It is the feel and the visual effects of the columns I like.

Anyway, it irritated me the Star would tag me for the "upgrade"  There are plenty of online options for news and are free.  The local TV stations have decent "breaking news" to supplement the paper.

So I called the folks up at the Star, respectfully declined the "upgrade" but told them I have been a loyal reader of the Star since 88, and hope they prosper, although I do not think the future bodes well for the paper editions.  Just like the grocery  store...paper or plastic?

No comments: