Thursday, March 30, 2017

"I chose not to put it on the agenda"

The Official Unofficial Minutes of the WL BOA
March 8

A quote from Mayor Botbyl regarding the issue of the Community Center use for a candidates forum.  The "I" was a result of Alderman Finn calling out Botbyl for the use of "we"...he first said "we decided".
Alderman Clark had researched the issue on his own after the last BOA discussion.  He reached out to the Missouri Municipal League (MML) for an opinion on the free use of the CC.  They in turn recommended touching base with the Missouri Ethics Commission.  Clark in turn passed along the phone number of the attorney for the Commission to the WL City Attorney.

It is my understanding there are no legal precedents/cases to prevent the City from hosting a Forum. During the discussion of the issue, I asked the City Attorney of his findings...he said, "I would not comment because it is a work product of the City".  He said he would answer my question with the permission of the Mayor...which was not forthcoming.

Another example of the Mayor usurping the Board.  BTW, during the discussion Aldermen Richmond and Stevenson were mute...my interpretation is either they agreed with the Mayor or did not want to engage on the subject.
 

No comments: