Thursday, February 19, 2009

Losers

On the road last evening and stopped at an adult beverage establishment in Cincinnati. Struck up a conversation with a native, we discussed the weather (ok, but potential for snow) and then the conversation turned to sports. His demeanor turned ugly as he railed against the "loser" Reds and the "loser" Bungals. He was upset because last year he split a season ticket with a friend for the Reds, and..."who wants to go to a game and listen to people boo the home team, besides, half the team was arrested for one thing or the other". I nodded without making a sound, dreading what I knew was coming..."So, where are you from?"

Was it that obvious? Could he possibly guess I was from KC? Nah, I had carefully tucked that SmokeBox BBQ stain on my cardigan inside my jacket. But just in case. "Me? I from Fargo, hey now?" "You're lucky", he said. "You must be a Twins fan?" "You betcha", I said. I couldn't resist ( I felt a bit of remorse) so I offered a little tidbit to see if he would take the bait. "I've got relatives in Kansas City"...and before I complete the sentence he screeched out "Ah, the biggest losers!" Ouch. I shifted gears to safe ground, basketball. I was off the hook as he gave me the update on Dayton/Cincinnati/Louisville/UK bball. Yawn.

Well the moral of the story is be proud of your City and be prepared to live (and die) on its laurels. So next time, I'll tell the truth when asked. I'm from Weatherby Lake. Where's that? Close to Platte Woods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are losers in our backward State politics too.

Today we have our morally confused politicians paasing law making it legal for teachers to spank our kids.

Never mind any concern what impact it has on parents beliefs or the kids but a lot of thought went in to the fear for teachers getting sexual gratification by spanking kids

LOSERS

Loser legislation just like "Freedom Fries" was for losers and supported by losers