Sunday, December 27, 2009

Perverse Pleasure


If you haven't had enough fun pushing snow, try what we did yesterday afternoon. On a whim, mid-afternoon, we headed to Snow Creek (Weston) for some down hill fun. Son Matthew, the sane one in the crew, picked up his rental skis and headed to the slopes. Miss Sarah and me picked up our snowboards and headed for the instructor corral. Yep, I said snowboard. Sarah has wanted to try for sometime and I agreed to accompany her. Instructor Zach soon appeared and we dove, literally, into the niceties of boarding. One of the first things you learn is how to fall. Hmm, seems like I caught on to falling quick...no it isn't the falling part, it is how to fall without doing great bodily harm. We both found out quickly we did not have enough padding on our backside...which is where we spent a considerable amount of time. It is just the nature of boarding. Darkness provided cover for our screw-ups as a gentle snow fell. Boarding at night under the lights is cool.

Anyway, Sarah did very well for first board adventure. She retired to the "ski shack" to await Matthew...I thought what the heck, I'll take a couple of more runs. Now there is sage advice given to me during my wind surfing days...and I have heard it skiing as well. "When you think of doing one more"..."don't". Wisdom disregarded, my first run was fun, one more for the road. Mid-hill I flopped, graceful, but down nonetheless. Determined to finish in grand style I pointed straight down the hill, zoooom! I approached the end of the run, right next to the line for the chairlift. In a flash, I was airborne, horizontal, as Mother Earth pulled me back...butt, then back. No applause from those in line, couple of commiserating groans. Son Matthew witnessed the whole escapade, smile on his face. "Wow, you really wiped out!" Fun.

No comments: