Saturday, May 3, 2008

Power Rule-Gene Roberts

After my detour of last week (as described in a previous post) I do intend to complete the Power Rule feature for the three public officials yet to be posted (Roberts, Finn, York). Today, Mr. Roberts.

The last two Power Rule posts, Hoy and White, were based upon campaign literature sent or handed out by the then candidates and covered the past year. Gene was elected, two years ago and unopposed. I do not recall Gene sending or handing out any campaign literature. He did participate in the candidates forum. I do not have notes from that session, although I did attend.

As a memory jogger, Gene was the Mayor Pro Tem this past year. This was Gene's second tour as West Ward alderman, having served some years previously. You may have attended a Board meeting or had an interaction with Gene that merits your comment on his performance from your point of view. Comments?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Roberts,

Firstly, all city councilpersons ought to be appreciated for their service. One does not always need to agree with them to appreciate them. It is not an easy job but one thing is always for certain--you will not please everyone...and for that, it is indeed a thankless job. That said, I think Gene's parting words were perhaps a little disappointing to me. He said, "this city does not need long-range planning". I disagree. Why would we continue to just "let things happen"? Wouldn't it be better to plan for them? It makes no sense to let our city continue to "react to the moment" and "constantly put out fires" rather than plan ahead. That is my only comment for Mr. Roberts.