Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Getting The Religion

Apparently Mayor Bos has new found fervor for Google Fiber.  You might recall, as I reported from last BOA, Bos summarily dismissed citizen Don Coleman Sr request to look into bringing Google Fiber to the City.  It took all of 90 seconds for Jerry to poo-poo the idea, alluding to all the problems NKC had with their fiber optic network and that we would wait til Google came to the area.  Not a peep from any of the aldermen at the time.

Fast forward to yesterday.  Jerry had letter sent to groups that have email lists, asking the letter, extolling Google Fiber be forwarded to the lists.  He cites a "discussion with Google people" and is now encouraging people to register with Google fiber, "please encourage all neighbors and friends to register".  He mentions that Google has a store in Westport with materials to "get your neighborhood excited and activated".  Even better, "If enough people want to put out a sign, let me know and I'll go to Westport to get some material.  I'm probably to (sic) old to stop at Kelly's to have lunch, but you never know"

Not to be outdone, Alderman Hoy, sent out a note to her list as well, first to inform residents of a death of a citizen (Kim Loveless) and then to paraphrase the Mayors Google note.  She says, "there may be some wonderful benefits if we could get Google to come to Weatherby Lake"...yep there might be.  She advised her readers/citizens to call Jerry for a sign.

My guess is the next BOA there will be another sign discussion.  Why?  According to the current sign ordinance the Google Fiber signs would be illegal, but then both Bos and Hoy know that...or do they?

Call Jerry for a sign, 741-0055.


btw, today is the post #1,500
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a contrarian when it comes to the city, whatever the mayor or boa wants, I am against. So no google fiber for me, no golf carts, move those real estate signs back to where they should be, abolish all those ridiculous committees and leave the remaining monuments alone. maybe they should be like the state legislature only have a limited session...which limits the damage they do to the state.

Anonymous said...

Where is my letter from Jerry?

Anonymous said...

As I drove onto Eastside Drive yesterday off Barry Road, I looked at that long rock wall with the big tombstone on top and if I didn't know better I would've thought I was driving into a cemetery!

Anonymous said...

I think Jerry would prefer the old paper cup and a string thing, effective and cheap.

Anonymous said...

Just read that the deadline to sign up is Sept. 9th. There's a $10 fee to register and that the anticipated fee is about $120 month for the service.

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/google-fiber-problems-become-more-evident/

mike moratz said...

9:50, see my post Google This. We are not in the first wave of "fiberhoods", so we cannot register, thus no $10 fee. When you go to the web site and put in your/our zip you will see that. You can request more info by the two check boxes you will see, I have been told Google they are using this as a measure of interest outside the first wave.

Anonymous said...

Haven't received any word from our Mayor about Google.

Anonymous said...

my bad mike. Didn't read closely enough.

9:50 am