Saturday, March 24, 2018

Me, Myself and I

You may have received campaign materials from Mayor Pat Botbyl, either by mail, email or both (I must not be on his A list because I received neither).  Some loyal WLAISI readers provided both for my inspection.  A couple of observations, maybe you noticed this too.  Botbyl loves the word "I" but somehow the words "alderman" or "staff" are not part of his vocabulary when elaborating on his accomplishments.  He did make one mention of a "very professional staff of employees" one time in his long list of 2017 accomplishments.

Word Count-"Dear Friends and Neighbors" Botbyl Campaign Letter and Flyer

21- "I" words
8- "me,mine, my" words

A little over the top?  You be the judge.  He takes credit for all things Weatherby Lake, with the exception of the solar eclipse.  What is missing?  Not one mention of the Aldermen or Board of Aldermen.  Odd.  Why is that?  But wait, there is more.  Not only does he not mention the aldermen but he takes credit for an initiative, the elimination of long term bonds that was begun by former Mayor Jerry Boss...none of this could have taken place without the vote of the BOA...but how would you know this?  You wouldn't, unless you went to BOA meetings or read the minutes.  Same with the levy reductions...the Mayor doesn't vote for that (unless there is a tie) and in fact there never has been an opportunity for the Mayor to vote on this...

The Washington Post does fact checks on political statements, awarding "Pinocchios" from one to four based on stretching the truth to whoppers...Sorry Pat, I think the WaPo would give you 4 Pinocchios on this one.


 Obviously there is a disconnect between the Mayor and the BOA, allow me to give you my observations in upcoming posts.


No comments: