Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Makes You Wonder

"Dear Residents: I am unable to attend this special meeting. Until today, I was unaware that any action would take place. My position is that we need an official audit. Unfortunately, I will not be able to vote accordingly. I hope that some of you will attend.
Mary"
Mary Hoy's email earlier today referring to the joint BOA-Audit meeting, 6:30, July 22, City Hall

Communication problem at City Hall? Last BOA meeting Mayor Jerry was leaning to a no audit of last year's books...didn't see the reason for the expense and he couldn't find any firm to do the audit. Now, apparently a firm "BKD", a Springfield based firm, (http://www.bkd.com/#2) is in the picture, and will be voted on at the meeting...and as Mary says, she was unaware of "any action" for the Special Meeting. The agenda for the evening does not include time for public comments. If you could ask a question or make a comment, what would it be?
  • What were the circumstances that BKD became known to the City?
  • What information has already been provided to BKD?
  • Does anyone on the BOA, Audit Committee or Mayor have a previous or current relationship with BKD?
  • Does the contract and process for award to BKD comply with the City Purchasing Policy?
  • What is the audit period?
  • When will the audit results be available?
  • What role does the City's Audit Committee perform in this process?

Note the time of the meeting, it is 6:30PM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes Mike! Love the blog for informational and the occasional "gadfly" approach. But, wonder if your approach to this matter would have sufficed without the negative spear toward Mary?

K-I-M ...I'm not necessarily a fan of the "Westside Wonder".

I think your questions are powerful and thought provoking enough to tweak any Lake "couch politico". More importantly, I believe they could garner more community engagement via their own merit vs. the derisive approach.

Just a suggestion.

mike moratz said...

Thanks for your comment. I actually didn't intend a negative spear towards Mary, just the opposite. I think she is a bit miffed at being left in the dark about the audit firm, or that a decision was going to be made at the Special meeting...no mention of this was made at the last BOA other than this Special Meeting would be a work session. I agree with her that an audit should be performed. I didn't like surprises from the Mayor when I was an alderman...apparently neither does Mary.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. My bad. I read attitude into it that wasn't there.

Anonymous said...

I hope Jerry answers all the questions. They seem fair and curious if he worked with them at DFA.