Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm No Dummy


News outlets in Kansas City recently reported an effort in Lees Summit to slow down errant speeders by using a mannequin in a strategically placed cop-mobile.  The mannequin, "Officer Huff", apparently has been effective in  making local leadfoots lay off the gas a bit.  Got me to thinking as I watched our neighborhood speeder cruise past our drive, phone in hand, mashing the gas pedal...my estimate 40mph+.  ( I do appreciate good engineering as his Lexus only leaves a "whooosh" as it glides by).

Now I'm not one to take the law into my own hands (vigilante?) but something should be done.  Then it struck me.  Why not do my own version of Huff, WL style? I'm just roundtabling at the moment...and I'm sure he doesn't read the blog...so this is just between you and me.  What if I positioned our SUV in a private drive on his route down Potomac, a stakeout, no less.  At the appointed time, as I see him approach, I lower the window and point my speed gun at him...okay, it isn't really a radar unit, it is my hair dryer.  He wouldn't know that because he is a speeding, distracted driver (oh yeah, he has a radar detector too).  His brain kicks in just as he sees me "gun" him, WTF! as he throws out the anchor.

That's it, no sirens, no flashing lights, no chase...just the satisfaction of seeing the panic on his face?  I know we have a couple of readers who are attorneys, would that be impersonating a law officer on my part?  Nah, I didn't think so.  I bet this would work on East Side as well.  We could have an entire corps of volunteers.

What do you think?

In the meantime, please pass me a doughnut.

http://fox4kc.com/2012/01/23/officer-huff-keeping-speeders-in-check-in-lees-summit/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure it's just the Mr. you would catch. The Mrs. has a major lead foot too.

Anonymous said...

Can you also pose a fake dog catcher? Leash laws are ignored too while walking and talking on cell. Rules don't apply to him.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes, he yelled at me last week because his dogs were standing in the middle of the street, and he wanted me to stop and wait for them to smell the street.

NO WAY!!!