Thursday, March 31, 2016

Being Present

"80% of success is showing up"
Woody Allen

Question from the Candidates Forum

How much time will you spend in the office? (referring to City Hall)

Botbyl-8:30 to Noon on Friday and by appointment.

York-I am self employed, I will be in the office almost every day.

The Mayor is the chief administrative officer of the City and direct reports include the Chief of Police, Public Works Director and City Clerk.  While Gary, George and Gwen do good work, no organization thrives on autopilot.  Could the water bill problems been averted with a little more oversight and quality control?  Perhaps.  Is 3.5 hours a week enough to be present.  Pat almost sounded defiant when he gave his answer to the question, maybe a little defensive.  

BTW, the Mayor makes a whopping $600 a month, aldermen $100.  If you divide that by hours spent on City business we are talking real 3rd world wages.

Look I know it is tough to work full time, take care of home stuff and be an elected official.  I decided not to run for re-election as alderman because I started a new job with extensive travel. Something had to give, and I knew I could not give my best shot for the City.  Showing up was just not good enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Botbyl touts his experience in NJ, just Google his name and scroll.

Anonymous said...

I see Rick at the WLIC office quite a bit, makes me think things are being looked after. I would think the mayor could be in the office a bit more.