Saturday, October 25, 2008

Duplexes/Triplexes @ Sonoma Ridge

I was approached at the Octoberfest/Recycling event last Sunday by two different people with the same question, "Have you heard about the rumor concerning Sonoma Ridge?"

My answer, "Yes, and depending what you heard, it is true"

Here is what I know. During the same telephone discussion I had with Mayor Jerry Bos (noted in previous post) he asked for my opinion about a discussion he had with a developer who had called him. The developer had done the "math" regarding single family dwellings @ Sonoma and concluded, at this time, the arithmetic did not make the venture profitable. However, if a development of duplexes/triplexes with a few single family dwellings sprinkled in was possible, the economics worked. Benefit to the City, increased tax base where, to this point, it is undeveloped. Jerry asked for my perspective as a Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) member. My response was the BZA has no responsibility, but rather the Planning Commission and Board of Aldermen would be involved in any consideration. I can share with you in another post all the reasons I mentioned to him why I think the proposal is bad for the City.

Jerry mentioned he had discussed the proposal with former Alderman Gene Roberts. I know Jerry has discussed this with one alderman, I assume by now, all of the aldermen. I recommended Jerry seek the opinion of Westside resident Larry Maher. Larry was part of the group of residents trying to block the development of the current tract. I do not know if Jerry and Larry have spoken.

My advice to Jerry was not to conduct further discussions with the developer, but rather ask the developer to come forward at a regularly scheduled BOA meeting to present the concept and details to the Board as well as the public.

You might recall during the April City election the rumor about "patio homes" for Sonoma was bouncing around. So much so, at the Candidates Forum the question was put to all the candidates regarding Sonoma Ridge. All the candidates emphatically responded with the need to maintain Sonoma as a single family dwelling development. Has anybody changed their mind? I don't know. It might be a good question to ask Jerry, Mary, Vic, Pat, Tanya. I feel sure they would appreciate your feedback.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a soon to be retiree, I have seen patio homes and multi-family homes built with such quality it would put the majority of homes at Weatherby Lake to shame. Chances are the developer is looking at cost efficiencies not quality. I would welcome a chance to stay at the lake in something more manageable but would they become eyesores in a ten to twenty year period? Otherwise, what is the problem with offering the lots for sale like any other development and allowing the city to review the plans for approval?

Anonymous said...

The problem is that you cannot replat Sonoma Ridge only. As I understand it, in order to replat SR as multi-family dwellings, you must replat the entire city. Which means that anytime a lakefront home goes up for sale, a developer can buy it, tear it down, and put up apartment bldgs. Is that really the direction our city wants to go? I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

I don't see the problem with letting there be multi family homes in Sonoma. As to lake front property doesn't everyone have to go before the zoning committee to build anything around here?? Different cities rezone lots all the time from say residential to commercial, etc without changing the entire city. Wouldn't the same be true here?So then wouldn't it stand to reason that if we couldn't just rezone Sonoma and had to do the entire city, that when someone wanted to build a multi dwelling on a site the board could say "NO".

Anonymous said...

I do see a problem with it and I hope the city does