Saturday, April 18, 2009

Geezers

A break from the recap of the BOA meeting...

Small news article in today's KC Star Sports Section. The KU Relays are going on in Lawrence, KS. KS redshirt pole vaulter Jordan Scott won the pole vault @ 18'1/2". Impressive. Paul Babits finished in 8th place at 15'7". So what? Paul is 48 and has been competing in the Relays since 1984. Really Impressive.

The Weatherby Lake Running Club has its own stable of over achievers. Ok, the WLRC is a figment of my imagination whose only members are me and Bubba. But in my mind all the folks who take it to the streets in WL to run/jog/stroll/walk are part of the club. Whether it be for exercise or enjoy the scenery or both the club has a huge following and the average age by my reckoning...well I know Bubba is north of 50.

The other part of running/jogging/strolling/walking on our "track" is the encouragement we get from the "stands". Folks wave, say good morning and generally make way (in their vehicles) to give safe passage to our members. Nice.

Hopefully Bubba and me will make our Sunday run "around the block" tomorrow. I guess that will be our version of the Boston Marathon which just happens to be Monday...lots of geezers there too.

No comments: