Sunday, April 20, 2008

Road Ramblings

Sorry to report Bubba is in sick bay due to injury, his doctor said something about a hyper-extended anterior cerebellum. No matter, I did my around the block with Carlos Santana and friends instead. A good number of people were out as well, I guess the break in the weather was what we needed.

News flash, could Mark Geran be gearing up for another run at Municipal Judge? On my route I saw a Geran campaign sign on High Point...well maybe it was left over from the election. Hey Mark, if it is a left over could you pick it up? If not, please give me a call, we need to talk! Speaking of campaign signs, I was impressed by all those who ran and put out signs...within two days they were picked up, thanks!

Back to running. My hour on the road gives me plenty of time to think. Usually Bubba and I solve all the worlds problems when we run, we are still working on world peace. Anyway, I thought about my revived running career which started about 9 years ago. Walking first, then walk/run, then running. I entered my first road race in 1999, The Trolley Run, and have kept going ever since. For awhile I became pretty focused on lowering my times for various distances, and as I became more fit, my times got better. But there has to be more than better times to running because eventually Father Time catches up, and race times stop getting better or slip a bit. One of my favorite running journalists, The Penguin, has a simple philosophy, enjoy the ride. So lately I have made running more about the journey rather than the destination. If you are still reading...what is the point? Well, we are all hurrying to get somewhere. Just a reminder to enjoy the journey.

No comments: